Cheryl Phelan's Blog
The interior look of your home says a lot about you; it tells of your kind of style, your personality, and your taste. From the living room to the kitchen, to the bedroom, your signature gets imprinted on all the designs used. Every other year, there are new styles and designs for decorating and furnishing your home. This year is no different; and new techniques promise to make for exciting home designs.
Designers and manufacturers are making patterns and fabrics in bolder and captivating colors; the idea is to select designs that are classic and beautiful - at the same time blending with your personal style.
Here are trends and style you should look out for this you for your home decorating:
Boldly Patterned Kitchen Design
Gone are the days where there are specific colors apportioned to a different part of the house, the kitchen all painted in white - looking like a hospital wall. The trend for this year is a kitchen personalized with designs that blend flawlessly into other parts of the home.
More Emphasis on Nature
Using natural items in design and style is on the uprising. Tables made from petrified woods; stools wrapped up in coconut shell beads, chair patterns mimicking a wheat field; everywhere you turn, the design now seems to be screaming nature.
Splashes of Hue
The millennial pink color seems to be the ‘new black,’ the color tone is cropping up everywhere and in most designs. From rugs splashed with this dusty hue to drapery and upholstery, the color doesn’t seem to be going away soon. The color has a flattering look and is thought to have a lasting effect on the mind.
More About Your Personality
The present generation doesn’t seem to have issues embracing their differences; they wear it proudly like a badge. Home designs for this year are more about individual personality and less about what trend is in vogue. More people are buying the idea of various colors and patterns in their homes; they want their homes to have stamps of their personality everywhere you turn. An example is mixing furniture styles from different periods in your living room; it’s considered charming and your personal style.
The style for this year is kicking out simplistic and minimal designs which some consider boring. Welcome bright and bold colors, graphic patterns, embellished, maximalist and hand-crafted designs. Don't be shy about mixing patterns, textures or colors as these are becoming the norm in most homes. Hardware designs are not left out as leather will replace brass and rose gold.
This year’s home decorating trend is all about you. Whatever style suits your personality is what you should have in your home. You can also consult an interior decorator to get a professional opinion.
People find themselves in small rooms for various reasons. Many people can only afford a small apartment, and they are happy about it. People in small apartments, however, do need to be creative to get the best of their spaces. Creativity is necessary when it comes to decoration and arranging your area to make it organized. With this, everything will be in order without feeling choked up. If you are looking to make your small space look bigger, here are some tips for you:
- Clean Out the Clutter: With excessive loads, a small area does look cramped. Look for ways of getting things out of sight. Use the shelves; keep things behind the door and table skirts. With everything hidden out of sight, there will be a neat and orderly room that is pleasant to behold.
- Use a Monochromatic Color Scheme. Only go with the same classes of colors. Be sure to apply the same families of colors to the texture finishes, upholstery fabrics, tonal drapery fabrics, etc. One can also get a warm and open look by going for cool and delicate colors.In using contrasting colors, there is a big chance of breaking a space. Also, it is necessary that the colors of the furniture match the wall color.
- Let Light in. A well-lit room will look more significant. The light can either be artificial or natural. Heavy draperies are not advisable. Also, be sure to let light in by keeping windows open. One can also use track lighting and install more lights.
- See through Spaces. Using materials that are see-through will make things beyond look far away. In a small bathroom, for instance, it is not recommended to use an opaque glass shower, instead, use a clear one, without a frame. The room, although being small will look bigger.
- Keep Upholstery Plain. Rather than bold plaids, prints or stripes employ plain colored upholstery for furniture. Neutral tones are the best and make use of texture as well.
- Light and Airy Fabrics. The best recommendation is to make use of sheer fabric that gives the light a through passage. These fabrics are best used in table covers, furniture slipcovers and through window treatments. Soft floral vines or simple stripes can also be used instead of solid colors.
One can get creative to spice things up in a small apartment and make it bigger. Be sure to take the above recommendations and spice things up in your home. Speak with an interior decorator today for more tips on how to arrange your room.
If you strive to make your home unique and have a particular style in mind, it can be difficult to find the right decorations to meet your needs.
With a Target in every town and strip malls containing the same stores carrying the same mass-produced furniture and decorations, where can you turn to find handmade home decor? In this article, we’ll share with you five sources for just that.
What started as a project in the founder’s New York apartment in 2005 has turned into a multi-million dollar online business. Etsy is the undisputed champion retailer of handmade goods.
From clothing to home decor, if you can think of it you’ll likely find someone who makes it and sells it on Etsy. One of the advantages of Etsy is being able to contact the seller personally and ask questions or make custom requests. This makes Etsy one of the best ways to find home decor that is made to order.
Another benefit of Etsy is how easy it is to search and browse. If you aren’t ready to buy an item or want to wait for a second iteration, you can always follow the seller or save them item for later on when you’re ready to purchase.
We know what you’re thinking. Pinterest is a place where you pin photos of home decor, not a place where you buy it. And while that may be true, it’s also a great way to find handmade goods that you might not see anywhere else. Here’s how to find handmade goods on Pinterest.
Search for and follow Pinterest boards that are created by or related to handmade home decor. You’ll find hundreds of boards like this already in existence.
Start pinning some of your favorite items so you can research them more later.
Pick the items you’d like to purchase off of your board and research the maker of those items. Oftentimes, the people who made the items are the ones who initially pin them. Other times the pins lead directly to the sellers webstore.
If you can’t find a webstore to buy the item from, try contacting them directly to see if the item is for sale online
Polyvore is a fascinating website. It’s like if you took Pinterest, a dressing room, and a webstore and mixed them together. Polyvore is often used for clothing, however they have a growing selection of furniture and home decor available.
You create an “outfit” of furniture and home decor to see how they will look together. Then you can place an order for the items you want to buy.
Before Pinterest, many craftsmen sold their goods on Ebay. And many still do to this day. Ebay is also a good place to find second-hand, unique home decor that you wouldn’t find anywhere else. And, if you’re lucky, you can win bids on items at a low price.
Uncommon Goods might not have common goods, but they do run a very conventional and straightforward online store that is easy to use and contains a range of unique home decor that you won’t find anywhere else.